Saturday 18 January 2020

Effective Literacy Website #7

Image result for pbs guam logoI chose PBS Guam (Education) as my final website to review. It’s important for educators to know the available resources we have locally for our students and their families, and our families as well. PBS Learning Media has many classroom-ready, curriculum-targeted digital resources that focuses on strengthening public media to improve teacher effectiveness and student achievement. Resources found on their website is aligned with Common Core State Standards (CCSS) which is inclusive of interactive videos and in-depth lesson plans.
On the home page of PBS Guam, I clicked on both the Kids and Education tabs. The Kids tab takes me to a page with many learning resources that appears to be tailored to the preschool or early childhood learners. The initial page begins with their options to watch their children’s programs.  There are also many activity coloring sheets and other free stuff to choose from. Children can also select from some fun games to play or storybooks to read.  There is also a link to “cool websites” but didn’t seem to be working when I clicked on it. The education tab seemed to be more of an instructional page for educators on PBS Guam’s resources. I liked this feature because it has different tabs on technical requirements, searching and browsing, interactive lessons, teacher tools, how to get started on google classroom, and even professional development. Creating an account was easy because I simply used my GDOE email to log in. Once I was logged in, I had the option to view the webpage as a student or as a teacher. After selecting the teacher view option I found many video resources when I clicked on a content/subject matter which I was excited about. After reviewing six other literacy sites I have to say I wasn’t too impressed with PBS Guam. I wanted to register my child for PBS Kids Guam but registration required a fee. Also, I didn’t feel the focus was on literacy even though when I was growing up I always associated PBS Kids with the Read-a

No comments:

Post a Comment